Sunday, March 31, 2013

You Remind Me

Once upon a time there was a girl that became an Auntie.  

She had previous experience with children, having babysat all of her life and had run a household at the age of 16 due to illness.

But this was oh so different.

The first child came, then 3 more in rapid succession.

She would take the children to poetry readings, art galleries, the park and on trips to sporting events and concerts.  People marveled at how well behaved the 4 children were.  Auntie would reply "they don't have a choice..."

Now I will discuss how I (said Auntie) have been influenced by these last 3 miracles of life.

Nykysha...



Our first "preemie", Kysha spent her first 2 months in a neo-natal intensive care unit (NICU).  She had the spirit of a fighter and looked her mom in the eye to say "no" when docs said she wouldn't make it through the night.  She is now 17.  She is fiercely independent, speaks her mind and doesn't back down from any challenge.  She has her "rough edges" but all in all she's a good girl and will be a wonderful woman very soon. Kysha has taught me that a big heart can be surrounded by what seems to be nonchalance...but the heart will always win in the end.

Nykiyah...


My beautiful "silent angel" who only speaks when spoken to.  Laughs heartily at "blooper" videos and takes crap from no one.  Another miracle baby who spent some time in the NICU, but came home to us happy, healthy and hardly ever cried.  Kiyah is an artist, a dreamer and has no problem stating her case, but only if you ask nicely.  She has taught me how to watch the scene and choose carefully when I will interact.

Nykarri...



The boy.  The future good man.  It's hard to explain the difference between girls and boys and the way that they both pluck your heartstrings in completely different ways.  Nykarri is his own person.  A renaissance dude who plays 3 sports, drums, babysits his little cousins with a watchful eye and still manages to be the bratty little brother to his sisters.  Nykarri has taught me that you can do and have it all.  Charm will only get you so far, but a genuine personality will certainly get you the rest of the way.

I sob as I write this because I love my kids.  Being "Auntie" saved my life and I cannot express it any plainer than that.

My mission is to show my kids that you can live a happy life, be good to others and not sell your soul in the process.  I hope they see in me what I see in them.  Life is all about connections and I thank God that I was able to be an integral part of these 3 lives. 

Don't worry, I will discuss the other set of nieces/nephew as well as my God-children and other children that inspire in future posts.

I leave you with this quote that sums up how I feel about these 3 particular angels.  


~(Auntie) Creatively Yours






2 comments:

  1. ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL !! AS THE BIRTH MOTHER I SIT HERE SOBBING WHILE READING THIS.. I THANK YOU FOR THE MANY YEARS, TIME, EFFORT AND SUPPORT YOU SPENT IN HELPING RAISING THEM AND BRINGING OUT SOME OF THE BEST QUALITIES IN EACH.. THEY AND I ARE SO LUCKY TO HAVE YOUR GUIDANCE, LOVE, AND OPINION!! YOU ARE CERTAINLY THE BEST "AUNTIE" AND "OTHER MOTHER" ANYONE COULD ASK FOR!! WE LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete