Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Thing About Sushi


The Thing About Sushi

I fell in love with sushi around 1999.  Just about the same time I decided I was really a poet. They may seem unrelated, but bear with me for a moment.

In 1999, my friend/co-worker Julia took me to a now non-existent sushi restaurant and asked me, "do you trust me?"  I was almost brought to tears from the sincerity in her eyes.  I answered "yes".  She ordered several rolls and told me to just taste, eat the whole piece and tell her what I honestly thought.

I've never done crack, but if there was a food-equivalent to crack, for me, sushi would be it.

I remember my first piece of sushi like I remember my first kiss.  Intense, satisfying, different, good.  The roll was a "Tommy Roll" and to this day it is still one of my favorites.

Luckily I was able to follow the owner of that now defunct restaurant to his new location, Fujido at the corner of 17th and Paxton Sts in Harrisburg, PA.  Fujido is my Japanese "crack-house."  I give him my money and he gives me his best.  I love Tuan/Tommy for being as passionate about making those rolls as I am about eating them and creating my own literary "crack".

My goal is to write things that will be "emotional art" just as sushi has been labeled "edible art".  Sushi rolls can be complex, simple, multi-layered or simply rice and fish.  It is a delicacy that has no measure.  I want my words to impact people as sushi has impacted my palate.  I want to transform and be transformed.

Sushi makes me happy.  I noticed after the first couple times of dining out at Fujido that I left feeling elated and joyful.  The only other food that used to make me feel that way was sugar but we had to break up for health reasons.  

Introducing a few of my friends to sushi has been a delight as well.  Watching them try something new, fall in love with it then report back to me when they find new rolls or restaurants is something that we can share and enjoy.  It's amazing.

Emotional eating of edible art.  That is what sushi is to me.  Emotional writing and revealing all my emotions.  That is what writing and CY (ARC) mean to me.

My first collection of short stories "Themes and Dreams" is coming very soon.  Thank you for your continued support!

~Creatively Yours   

No comments:

Post a Comment