Sunday, June 23, 2013

Failure...The Remix

I lost a client last week.

I could have been devastated, angry, pissed off and used that loss as a reason to stop what I'm doing altogether.

Instead I'm going to talk about failure.  How I perceive it and what it means to me.

I remember seeing this quote a long time ago:

This comes from a man who by many standards is the greatest person to ever play the game of professional basketball.  Michael Jordan, who was cut from his high school basketball team, admits failure in so many other ways as well.

It's all about trying again in a different way.  For every client I lose I plan to replace them with 3 more.  Failure?  I think not.


I'm fortunate to be surrounded by a "village" of supporters that won't let me quit.  Because failure means you never try again.  A loss is just that...ONE loss.  There are so many other ways to win.  I want to win.

I'm blessed that I have people who believe in my gifts, talents and abilities.  They tell me every day and they show me in too many ways to mention.  They are my beacons through the storms of life and my anchors when I am ready to fly off into the sunset of lost dreams.  They mold and shape me and keep me whole.  I don't know what I would do without them personally or professionally.


Are you happy with how your business is currently performing?  Do you have clients and customers beating down your doors?  Are you ready to do business in profit margins that you only dreamed about?

On the flip side:  do you have a thick skin? Can you stand to be told no? Is there someone who promised you something but they have yet to deliver?  I can't get bogged down in pumping myself up based on 1 good week when I have a week like last week when I lost this client.  I need to stay prepared for both the ups and the downs in this self-employed game.  Yes...it's a game and I only lose when I stop reaching out to pitch that next client or not writing the next blog. There is no failure to be "chalked up" when you are on to the next possible client or opportunity.

Finally, let's discuss what happens when you "fail".  Society says you are a failure if you don't have a car, house and bank account that all fit into the "big" category.  I say you fail when you compare yourself to other people and think that you don't measure up.  The Jones family is not putting bread on your table or clothes on your children's backs.  Failure is relative and one man's failure can be my possible triumph, so I'm mowing my own back yard.

I lost a client, but I also gained the wisdom of things to differently the next time I am faced with a situation like that one.  I'm wiser and ready for what's next.

Are you ready for what's next?  Can you be honest with yourself and reach out for the help you need in order to be just more successful?  Let's work together to change this notion of failure into what can be something great.

Email: cre8vlyyours@aol.com
Twitter: @cre8vlyyours
Facebook: Creatively Yours ARC

Thank you for your continued support!

~Creatively Yours

  

No comments:

Post a Comment