Sunday, May 26, 2013

Rejection


Rejection

I usually try to keep things upbeat and positive on this blog.  With that said I need to turn a "negative" into a positive and talk about one of the things I am embracing on this journey to creating my own viable company.

I want to discuss rejection.

In a "former life" I was a singer.  I moved to NYC at 22 to attempt to break into the music biz, sing on Broadway or just win my first Grammy by 23.  Just as I am now, I was a talented dreamer that felt like all I had to do was try and I would win.

After many auditions, many rejections, many doors slammed in my face I got my first "gig".  I was the New Orleans Blue Angel in the off/off/off/off Broadway production of "Sweet Daddy and Amazing Grace".  We performed 2 sets of 4 shows and it was great.

Even though "Sweet Daddy" quenched a bit of my thirst to sing/act I soon realized that I was tired of being "rejected".  Tired of hearing no and definitely done with being broke.  I decided to come back to Harrisburg after 2 years in the Big City.

The other arena where I've experienced the most rejection is in my love life.  I have always seen the best in the people I've dated and many times I have mistaken kindness from "friends" for romantic interest.  I find that I am always seeking the most unavailable person and it usually ends somewhat tragically and/or dramatically.



So what does rejection (creative and romantic) have to do with business?

Every time a client seeks me out, then decides I am not the right fit for their task/company/project I experience that rejection all over again.  Yet now I am old enough and wise enough to realize that every project is not for me or my business.  I don't have to worry about not fitting into their criteria, deadlines, demands or boundaries.  They have made it easy for me to let that prospect go and focus my energy on the next viable option.

Rejection builds more than character, it builds a steady clientele.  

For every person/business that has told me no, I have two that have said yes.  It's an amazing phenomena and it's awesome to be a part of something from the ground up.  It helps me to fully understand that just like the rejection I experienced as a performing artist, the rejection that happens with business is a chance to grow stronger and hone my skills to be that much better for the next client.



Instead of wallowing in the disappointment of "rejection" I am learning to refocus and be open to the next opportunity to come along.  And opportunity is always coming along.

Thank you for reading and supporting the dream. Your faith in me has erased the "sting" of rejection and helped me turn it into fuel for the future. 

~Creatively Yours
website:  cre8vlyyours.waidbooks.com
email:  cre8vlyyours@aol.com


1 comment: