Sunday, May 12, 2013

Harrisburg School District: Proud Alumni



I am thankful and proud to be a product of the Harrisburg School District (HSD) located in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.






 I'd like to talk today about just a few of the people who helped to shape me as a student, person and lover of learning.

Marc Farrell (Music/Music Theater) surrogate father, adviser and friend.   Albert Baker (English/English Literature) lover of Shakespeare, Sherlock Holmes and theater.  Mr. Shelley (Science/Biology) lover of DATA (if it can't be factually proven it does not exist).  Mr. and Mrs. Friend they worked together...they fought together, they loved all of us together.

Angela Giardina (homeroom 6th grade) who told us we could be anything we wanted to be and made us believe in ourselves as much as she believed in us.

I can't remember my typing teacher's name (Ms. Dunston perhaps?), but it is the skill that has served me best in my adult life.  Period.

I mention these particular people because they stand out in my mind 25 years later as those who took the extra time to talk TO me and not at me.  They didn't care that we were poor kids from poor neighborhoods, broken homes who lacked connections.  They breathed life into us every day they came to work and imparted their wisdom to us.


Say what you want about the Harrisburg School District alumni and present students and we will keep proving you wrong.

Don't judge all by the actions of a few.  What you see on the local news does not tell the whole story.  Yes, I can only speak of the HHS of 1988, but I know those scholars and striving students that we once were still exist today.  I hear through the grape vine that these kids are amazing.  Yet no one publicly tells the full story.

The class of '88 spans the country and globe doing great things.  Google us.  We are amazing and continuing to change the world thanks to people like H. Major Poteat who did not accept mediocre behavior or grades.  God Bless Him.




I will never deny my alma mater, no matter what the press has to say.  Until you have walked a day in those halls your opinion does not matter to me.  I will bleed black and grey until the day I die.


Creatively Yours (ARC) is a direct result of the education I received in the HSD as well as varied life experiences.  I am confident that we can provide you with services that will help your company be more visible.

Congrats to the 2013 graduates of the Harrisburg School District.  May you always be seen, heard and successful.

~Creatively Yours

Email:  cre8vlyyours@aol.com
Website:  www.cre8vlyyours.waidbooks.com
Twitter:  @cre8vlyyours
  

No comments:

Post a Comment